Wednesday 30 November 2016

Out to lunch with the Pussy Bow Blouse

This is my last week at work, I will be leaving on Friday (after 9 years) to start a new job next week. Between all the mixed emotions and handovers, I have been focusing on sewing in the evenings.  I've been stitching a new work wardrobe for starting my new job, more of that to follow. For now, I want to focus on my last week here, and a lunch date with my fantastic colleagues (and friends) to say goodbye. 

I bought the Pussy Bow Blouse pattern and some lightweight crepe to make it in from the Sew Over It stand at the Handmade Fair (yes, still working my way through that stash!). I had originally planned it as a smart work blouse to wear with a pencil skirt. However, my new job is casual dress, so I'll be wearing it with jeans instead!  It's a pretty versatile pattern which can be dressed up or down. 

The Blouse is relatively simple to construct. I chose to make version 1, with a high bow. The fabric was quite slippery, which made it harder to work with, but feels like the right fabric for this type of blouse. The hardest part of the whole project was the rouleau loops for the button fastenings at the cuffs. I truly hate turning out rouleau loops, so invested in a tool to do it. It was still almost impossible and so frustrating! Then, after I finally managed it, I sewed them too close to the cuff and didn't leave enough loop to go round the button. In the end, I stitched the loop to the edge of the other cuff to give the impression on a button fastening instead. 

The Blouse is a lovely fit, and a nice way to dress up jeans. Now, off to my lunch (and I'll try to hold back the tears!) x

 

No comments:

Post a Comment