Tuesday 13 March 2018

A couple of Strathcona Henleys as belated presents

I was so behind with sewing in the run up to Christmas that I didn't even stop to photograph one project before starting on the next. I vowed to learn my lesson and start a lot earlier with any future homemade presents. Then I totally ignored this when it came to Valentine's Day and left making something so late that I didn't even get finished on time. Oh well, maybe I really will stop being such a 'time optimist' in future and plan my makes properly!

I finally finished Gareth's Valentine's Day present at the weekend, which was a Strathcona Henley by Thread Theory, the same as I made him for Christmas. The pattern includes a traditional version with button placket and a t-shirt version. I ended up making a mash-up of the two, with long sleeves but a t-shirt neckline, as I couldn't picture Gareth wearing the button placket version. This is a really simple sew, but added features like cuff and hem bands make it more than a standard long-sleeved t-shirt. 

For his Christmas present, I used a digital camo print by Girl Charlee, which I bought at GBSB Live with Gareth in mind. The Valentine's version was in a blue star print also from Girl Charlee, bought online in the sale. The only slight issue I had with this project was finishing the neckline. I really do need to get to grips with my cover stitch machine, as this would have finished it more professionally. Other than that, it is a quick afternoon project and I'm told, very comfortable to wear. 






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for featuring our fabrics, the tops look great and it's always nice to see makes for men! The fabrics are -
    http://www.girlcharlee.co.uk/muted-digital-camo-cotton-jersey-knit-fabric-p-14304.html
    & http://www.girlcharlee.co.uk/white-stars-on-blue-cotton-spandex-knit-fabric/girl-charlee-p-10131.html

    ReplyDelete